Friday, September 12, 2008

Flight From Ike

Richard and I were driving out to the beach yesterday to see the wind and waves ~~ all effects of Hurricane Ike that is bearing down on Texas. The storm is huge and was apparent as we viewed the rough seas and stood firm against the wind that was blowing. On the drive out, we followed the vehicle shown in the photo which you can double-click to enlarge and read what was written on their back window. Following those folks, I began to wonder about them~~ their life in Texas, what they have left behind, and what they will find when they return after the hurricane. And then I noticed their tag frame "Jesus Saves" and some stickers on their vehicle that were a testimony of their faith in God. As I pondered that family, I thought about the thousands more who have been fleeing the storm and wondered about their spiritual condition. They are running from the wind and the rain. Are they also running from God each and every day of their lives?

Mt 7:21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that
doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever
heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the
rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that
heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Hurricane Ike is headed right for Texas (
Galveston to be exact) and it will be bad for folks there. Our prayers are with the Texans and with those in Louisiana who will be affected by the water, wind, and the floods ~~ all of which are coming. People there will suffer. We pray that no lives will be lost but surely many will lose their homes and life-long possessions.

Our homes and our stuff are important and costly, but the coming storm reminds me of an even greater loss that is coming to many. The verses above remind us that the most important matter is that our spiritual lives are built upon the Lord Jesus Christ. If we are secured to the Rock, the winds of life cannot blow us away; nor can the waters over-run us. All of this is spiritually speaking. Houses can be rebuilt, furniture can be re-bought but a lost soul is forever cast into hell. I pray many folks will be brought to their knees as they face the coming storm. May those who are unsaved realize their need of the Savior and come to Christ. Flight from Ike is important today, but a deliverance from the clutches of hell is of a much greater importance for all of eternity.

Here's a video I made out at the beach on Thursday. The wind is so strong and loud that you can barely hear what I am saying. We are staying on a parking lot out over the beach and so I don't have a good perspective of how high nor how rough the waves were, but they were something to watch.

0 comments: