Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Ago........

I guess I will forever feel led to write an article on every September 11. That day was certainly marked indelibly upon my heart and in my mind. Like everyone else who lived through it, I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news (as the receptionist at Tuscaloosa Christian School, I began receiving calls from parents that something terrible had happened and to turn on the TV, so the office staff went to Mr. L's office to see what in the world..... and saw the live TV imagine of the second tower being attacked by that plane).

What a day of horror. Aside from knowing that God was still on His throne, it seemed that the entire world was knocked off of it's rotation and thrust into chaos. Everything was uncertain and upside down. There was a sickening feeling in my stomach and tears on my cheeks. We had the task of protecting the elementary children from learning what had happened (so their parents could explain it to them when they went home). Whispers and weeping. It was a LONG day at school on 9-11-01. Praying and hugging. Gathering in small groups to pray and hug throughout the day. Both sustained me. I needed God's peace in my heart and the comfort of friends.


I couldn't wait to get home to my dear husband Richard and to be with him. We watched replay after replay after replay through the night and didn't sleep. We called our kids (Amy in Florida and Chip in Michigan) and wept inside as we tried to reassure them. Amy and Brian had two little kids just adopted from Ukraine 2 months previous. Isabella knew her parents were sad and kept asking why. What could you tell a 6-year-old Ukrainian child?


What a day.... and a night....

Seven years later. Thanks to the good work of President George W. Bush and our incredible troops, we have not been attacked on American soil again. We are still fighting the war on terror and are making progress. We are on the cusp of probably the most important presidential election ever. The candidates for president are as different as night and day in every way. I shudder to think what will become of our beloved America is Obama is elected. McCain isn't the perfect candidate but has a heart for America and our values here. Thankfully, he has shown a great amount of wisdom in choosing his running mate. I believe that McCain/Palin are our best choice for America's future should the Lord tarry His coming and pray they will be elected on November 4.

No matter what.... God is in control and His plan is being accomplished. May He be glorified as we remember 9-11 and how we ALL called out to HIM that day. Oh that we would realize our need is still great and return to our Christian roots as a nation. Dear God, please have mercy on us.



On a happy note regarding September 11:
Happy Birthday to my dear friend, Kay Nichols O'Rorke!!

1 comments:

lottfam said...

I too remember that day as Makenna was just 4 months old. A new parent afraid of what other attacks might be coming, wanting to protect my child. Especially with the flight that landed in Shanksville not far from us. They even evacuated some buildings in Pittsburgh near Rick's place of employment at the time. I also remember one flight was over Cleveland where my parents live. Rick's mom called me and I spent all day watching as things unfolded.
On a lighter note, I can't believe how little Josh and Belle were in that picture. I remember meeting the Yohe's at the airport when they brought them to PA for the first time. What blessed memories!