Friday, July 13, 2007

Eight Years Ago Today ~~ Shocking and So Sad

For my sisters and me, July 13, 1999 was a terribly shocking and sad day. We each received a call from the nursing home where Mom resided letting us know that she had passed away early that morning. I received my call at just minutes after 8:00 a.m. I remember exactly where I was standing and exactly what I was doing when the phone rang. It's amazing how a phone call can forever change your life. Mom had been placed in the nursing home less than a week earlier after weeks of hospitalization with her congestive heart failure. We didn't expect her to leave us that soon, but GOD WAS GRACIOUS to take her on home to Heaven. She survived 13 years following Dad's death in June 1986. I know I speak for Karen and Nonie, too, when I say how much I miss my parents. Though the raw pain of the deep grief no longer resides in my heart, there are so many times when I wish I could talk to Mom about this or that or ask my Dad something about the Bible or living the Christian life. Our joy is in knowing that they are safely arrived at home in Heaven and that we will see them again. Dad & Mom~~~ thank you for loving me, raising me, and for showing me by example how to live the abundant life. Enjoy the wonders of being with Jesus, and I'll see you soon. ~~Love, Susan

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, Thanks for sharing about your very sad day. Sounds like your parents gave you a wonderful, godly heritage. Your life certainly bears that out.

My dad died May, 1999. Mom is having some back problems and doesn't get out nearly as much as she did. She turns 80 next month. My sister would really like for Mom to move closer to her. My brother and I tried talking to Mom about that, but nothing doing. She's not moving out of her two story house. She just got "life alert" installed last Saturday. She's proving to us that she is serious about staying in her home. I am glad that she can make the decision for herself. When I last talked to her, she said that she is determined to get better and get back to her active life. She is going to physical therapy twice a week.