
It's here! The big day! I remember that as a child in school, I looked forward to the Valentine party even more than the Christmas party. Decorating those little white bags and hanging them in the classroom ~~ usually along the chalkboard tray as I remember ~~ thrilled me beyond measure. I loved giving valentines and I loved receiving valentines. I would keep them and re-read them over and over. Honestly, that is still a "sweet" memory.
The best Valentine of all is God's Word. The Bible is God's love letter to mankind. How He made this green earth and all the rest of creation. How He made provision for mankind during Old Testament days to have a right relationship with Him. How He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to earth to live a sinless life and to be the ultimate sacrificial lamb slaughtered and His blood shed for our sins. The gift of eternal life for those who repent of their sins and receive Jesus Christ into their hearts as their Lord and Savior. The promise of Heaven when we leave this life. The revelation of things to come when God takes Satan down and sets up HIS kingdom here on this earth. (I will hear from my preacher-son Chip if my theology isn't quite right but he always deals with me so very gently and lovingly. I learn so much from him!!)
So, if I enjoyed reading all of those cute but cheap and rather meaningless little paper valentines as a child, why am I sometimes negligent to faithfully read God's Love Letter to me ~~ His Written Word? I love hearing it read. I love hearing it preached. I love hearing it taught. But far too many days during the years, I put reading God's Word for myself on the back burner of my life. I am baring my soul and confessing my sin as I write this. I don't know if a living soul reads this (and perhaps today, I am praying that no one will read it for my prideful self is not eager to admit to anyone else this lacking in my Christian life), but I am talking to my Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ as I write this to confess that I haven't read their "Valentine" as I ought.
Dear God, I need to hear from YOU today. Personal stuff ~~ from YOU to me. Yes, Lord, that's it.... let me get off of here and into your WORD ~~ the most wonderful valentine of all. Thank you for your conviction and for urging me in this matter. I love you and thank you for your love for me ~~ today and every day.
17 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment