Monday, November 17, 2008

Our Family Tree Got a Little Tangled During the Sisters' Reunion

We have always known that my husband's mom was a Hobson and that my sister's husband's mom was a Hobson. Both of these moms have long since passed on, but back in the day, there was discussion of how they could be related because they both had lots of Hobson kin in the Bibb and Perry County areas of Alabama.

During our Sisters' Reunion this weekend, I got out THE
HOBSONS book that Richard had bought from a man who did a lot of research on the Hobson Ancestry. I got the book out and gave it to Paul (my sister Karen's husband) to look at. He immediately spotted his GGG Grandfather who was Richard's GG Grandfather.


My baby sister, Nonie, is a genealogist and so she got interested in all of this and has spent much of today digging up a lot of information to send to us. She is sending it to Paul and Karen as well. Here is how the kinship has shaped up to be:

*My husband Richard and Karen's husband Paul are indeed related.
*Paul's mom and Richard's mom were 3rd cousins once removed. (Both are deceased.)
*Paul's mother and Richard were 4
th cousins.
*Paul and Richard are 4
th cousins once removed.
*Paul is not only my children's uncle because he married my sister, but he is Amy's and Chip's 5
th cousin on their daddy's side of the family.
*My grandson
Jaden is 6th cousins with my Karen's and Paul's sons (Steve, Doug, and Bryan) but is also their first cousin once removed on my side. (Right, Nonie?)

There is NOTHING
hanky-panky about any of this, but it is a new twist in Richard's relationship with Paul who was before "just" a brother-in-law by being my sister's husband.

Are you confused????????????????
Dont' worry~~~ I am as well.

P.S. We had dear friends at our church in Tuscaloosa who are in this book, too, and so there is some kinship with them: Irene (Hobson) Hall and Katrina (Colburn) Ward. Here's the connection with Katrina: Richard's GG Grandfather William L. Hobson had 18 children, one of which was George Hobson. Katrina was George Hobson's GG Granddaughter.

Here is the connection with Irene: She is a descendant of Joseph Hobson who was a son of Samuel Hobson, Richard's GGG Grandfather.



4 comments:

KK Edgil-Mills said...

I am not confused only amused! How funny that Richard and Paul have this new relationship that they did not know about.

KK Edgil-Mills said...

I am not confused only amused! How funny that Richard and Paul have this new relationship that they did not know about.

Sharon said...

How funny that they have been brothers-in-law all this time and never knew they were related any other way. Very neat!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

That is interesting!

Imagine my surprise when Kerry and I were newlyweds and hearing his grandmother talk about her cousin, Cap G. No Way! Cap was MY dads father. So, Kerry and I are distant cousins. Only in Alabama. I promise we didn't meet at the family reunion. LOL!