Friday, June 27, 2008

Twenty-Second Anniversary of My Dad's Departure for Heaven

Philippians 1:3 ¶ I thank my God upon every remembrance of you...

June 26, 1986: I was thankful for JESUS CHRIST, my solid rock, on that day. Dad had been very ill for just three weeks with his just-diagnosed with Acute myelogenous leukemia: (AML) a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. In AML, the bone marrow makes many unformed cells called blasts. Blasts normally develop into white blood cells that fight infection. However, the blasts are abnormal in AML. They do not develop and cannot fight infections. The bone marrow may also make abnormal red blood cells and platelets. The number of abnormal cells (or leukemia cells) grows quickly. They crowd out the normal red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets the body needs.

Daddy thought he had the flu and fought it for a few days before going to the doctor when he wasn't getting any better. What a shock to learn that day that he had leukemia. He fought it valiantly at UAB in Birmingham, but it wasn't God's plan for him to be healed. Of course, he realized the ULTIMATE HEALING when he arrived in Heaven on June 26!!

As the two photos portray, I always looked up to my dad (that's Nonie and me with Dad and Mom and I am looking up at him); and I loved him dearly. It hurt so much to lose my beloved Daddy but the Lord was gracious and saw us all through each difficult day. I still miss you, Daddy, and love you so much. I can't wait to see you and Mom when the Lord calls me home one of these days. I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

KK Edgil-Mills said...

That is how I remember your Dad! I remember seeing him the last time when I was about 10, he was so kind to my family. Isn't heaven sweeter?

Anonymous said...

Tim and I were speaking of your dad's passing last week, not knowing for sure of the date. We were at the beach when we received the news. I count it a spiritual privilege that he was the person who led me to the Lord waaaayyy back in 1975!

Love you & can't wait to see you!

Yvonne